The crisis - time to look for innovative solutions, new approaches and technologies
350 million tons of paper produced in the world each year. Without paper mankind can not imagine their existence. On paper, we encounter daily. Wallpaper and drywall, banknotes and advertising posters - they are also the paper that serves mankind for more than three and a half thousand years. Paper - a time consuming and a long-term process that requires modern approaches and development of new technologies.
On the development of the paper industry in Kazakhstan told Kazinform CEO «Kagaz Shahary SEZ» Maxim Skrynnik.
- Maxim, tell us in the beginning, why did you decide to do it with paper business?
- You can say - I grew up in the printing, including paper bobbins and packages. Parents are involved in printing business. Therefore, the paper for me - not something detached and abstract. When he decided to open his own business, there was no question: of course, it must be associated with the paper. It seemed as if I knew everything about her. Because, and went into a separate swimming ...
- How, in your opinion, the situation with the production of paper in our country? What are the prospects for the industry?
- We are talking about the pulp and paper industry, in particular, of offset paper. Our company is a marketing research ordered the Finnish company «POYRY». According to this study, in Kazakhstan imported 50 thousand tons of various types of offset paper annually. And this number is constantly growing, the average annual growth in consumption is approximately 7%. The level of paper consumption per capita in all civilized countries is one of the most important indicators of social development.
One of the world leaders in the production of office paper, International Paper annually measures the annual average of its actual consumption per capita in different countries. According to these studies, in Russia consumed 4.8 kilograms per capita per year, in Germany - more than 6, in the UK and France - about 8. In Kazakhstan, this figure - 2.5 kilograms, and it tends to grow. When they say that the paper in the near future, will be used less and less, because all switch to electronic document is sufficient to recall the experience of Japan, where the development of the highest and most advanced technology and at the same time, the pulp and paper industry is one of the leading sectors of the economy. Moreover, it is the use of e-mail leads to increased consumption of paper - most of the letters still printed.
Today, our company is the first and only company in Kazakhstan that puts itself to the task of creating a domestic plant, which will eventually be able to produce a sufficient amount of paper, overlapping requirements of Kazakhstan, as well as to export paper in Central Asia, western and southern regions of Russia. The industry is very promising: it gives opportunities for import substitution and exports.
- Tell us about your business. How many people are employed in the production? Was the support from the state?
- Our company was established in 2012. We built a plant near Shymkent in FEZ "Ontustik" brought modern equipment of the latest generation of Germany. This gives us the ability to produce 10 thousand tons of paper A4 and A3 year. The plant employs 75 people, has offices in Almaty and Astana. Our employees, mostly young people, who showed their interest and ability to work on high-tech equipment.
The opening of our enterprise was made possible by a favorable environment, which is created in support of the domestic business. Tools for the procurement of domestic products allow state companies to invest and start production development. Our company has been included in the program of the first five-year plan of the State program for accelerated industrial-innovative development of the Republic (SPAIID) of Kazakhstan and the Business Road Map. Our project and included in the second five years SPAIID. We fully correspond to the purposes and objectives of this program. We have a new company, we are working in the industry is still undeveloped, developing import substitution, has the potential to export our high tech project.
- And how came the idea of making paper and textiles made of hemp?
- The problem of our industry - the lack of raw material base, because the paper is traditionally made of wood. Forests in Kazakhstan are the main relic that does not allow to use them in the industry. Scandinavian countries and Russia for decades used its raw material base for the traditional paper production. But there are countries that are similar to our raw material conditions, such as South Korea, France and Australia. These countries are addressing the issue of paper production from alternative sources of raw material - waste paper, annual plants - wheat, flax, cane, industrial hemp. Paper from hemp is famous worldwide: the first copies of the US Constitution was printed on hemp paper is. In general, from the technical hemp in the world produced more than 25, 000 kinds of different products.
Due to the increasing drug abuse in the world of Unified UN Convention 1961 including cannabis to the list of narcotic plants and ordered the Government of the Member States to strictly control its crops. The Soviet government to breeders has been tasked to create varieties of cannabis that does not have narcotic properties. It was the only way to save the most valuable culture and at the same time one of the measures to combat the spread of drug addiction. As a result of almost 20 years of work of the Institute of Bast Crops breeders in Ukraine were created beznarkoticheskie and high-yielding varieties of cannabis (with a THC content not exceeding 0.1%). At this time, the world's industrial hemp fully rehabilitated and continues to occupy a leading position in the industrial sector.
- How to survive business in difficult economic conditions?
- At a meeting chaired by the Head of State on November 18, 2015 President of Kazakhstan drew attention to the fact that in a slowing global economy, lower demand and prices of basic commodities, as well as in connection with the transition to a free floating exchange rate of tenge - there the need for systemic and operational anti-crisis measures.
Along with the fact that accession to the WTO opens up new opportunities for domestic exporters and foreign investors, the fact that the opening of trade borders encourages local producers to the creation of enterprises - competitive in both domestic and world markets. At the same time a fundamental factor in the development of industrial competitiveness is affordable, effective and inexpensive raw materials, on which you can produce various kinds of products, which are interested in domestic and foreign markets. According to the project management team, technical hemp fits the description of a promising, accessible and low-cost crop, which can serve as raw material for a whole range of industries.
- What are the prospects for growing these raw materials in Kazakhstan?
- Development of industrial hemp in Kazakhstan coincides with a renaissance konoplevodstva world in which our country can take a leading position. In particular, the cultivation of hemp seed on the "organic" process technology automatically displays the resulting products for export to countries of the European Union (EU). In the EU, growth in food production of industrial hemp grew at least 15% per year, and this fact is due to the trend of European consumers for healthy food, rich in nutrients. In view of the significant growth of consumption of the seeds in the EU and the world, from Kazakhstan, with its unique geographical and climatic features of an objective opportunity to replace the supply of seeds from China to the EU's own supplies, as well as enter the global market. With 1 hectare of hemp pulp is obtained as much as 4 hectares of forest. The production cost of pulp from hemp raw materials are lower than of wood - 30% (pine, birch, larch), due to lower consumption of energy and chemicals. Investment capacity building pulp and paper mill in the raw hemp 2 times lower in comparison with the same plant on the basis of wood, due to softer design mode fiber.
Add: Hemp fabric also features practical, easy to use, has a high degree of stability during processing and retains all useful and valuable properties of the natural material.
Summing up, it should be noted that in the context of the global crisis, many domestic manufacturers are experiencing reduced demand for its products - a challenge to the competitiveness of our products. The patriotic initiative of public movement "Kazakhstan -2050" to build shelves in supermarkets and department «made in Kazakhstan», which would have placed the products manufactured in our country, as well as the President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev instructed the governors of all the support and promotion of domestic producers their products in the region - one of the most effective examples of concern about the state of our business. I'm sure it will help our production, because we need the support.